Steve Brill’s new start-up will rate news content so search and social platforms can help users know what to trust. https://t.co/wLIJNjgbZN
— Axios (@axios) November 3, 2017
- Rating will be done by “qualified, accountable human beings,” not algorithms.
- Brill’s co-CEO will be Gordon Crovitz, a Wall Street Journal columnist and former publisher of the paper.
- They’ll hire 40-60 journalists, who will be “well-paid.”
- They expect to have a product for U.S. users by mid-2018.
- The business model: NewsGuard will charge a license fee for platforms and aggregators, who will make it available to users.
- The company will create brand awareness by giving browser versions free to news literacy groups, school systems, etc.